Hearty and filling, this stew is perfect for these chilly fall nights! I also love how quickly this comes together, which makes it great for a nutritious weeknight meal too!
Prep time: ~20 minutes / Servings: 4
- 1 and 1/2 cups white or brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (you can also use yellow and orange like I did!)
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium broth of your choice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings of your choice! I used lime, cilantro, and avocado but sliced radishes would be tasty also
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened. 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, vinegar, and oregano. Cook mashing some beans until slightly thickened. 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve beans with rice and toppings as desired.