Can we all just be honest for a minute and admit that muffins should just be called "breakfast cupcakes"?!? 🤷 Especially these! Moist and delicious, these pair very well with our Decadent Mexican Chocolate flavored coffee.
Prep time: ~20 minutes / Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 2/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips of your choice (you can really have fun with these by adding peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch, whatever!)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla together.
- Add wet ingredients and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips to the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups to the top with batter and decorate the tops with the remaining chips.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350°F and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, muffins will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy! 😋