Snickerdoodles are a cookie classic! Sweetness balanced by the spice of cinnamon and the slight tang of cream of tartar, this cookie pairs very well with a nice hot cup of Comfortably Numb.
Prep time: ~20 minutes / Cook time: 10 minutes / Yield: 24 cookies
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Don't forget the topping!
- 1/3 cup extra sugar
- 1 tps ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats
- Make the topping by combining sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar until smooth and well blended. Add the egg and yolk, vanilla and beat until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients, in about 3 parts and combine until blended. Dough should be thick.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons (or a medium cookie scoop) will yield about 24 cookies and coat with the sugar/cinnamon topping mix from step 1.
- Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool on sheet about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack or do what I do and eat them while they are still piping hot!!!